Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Travel to Japan from U.S.?

Question:


I'd like to travel to Japan in order to study specific martial arts, yet I'm unsure what I would need to do. I'm not sure on what kind of visa to apply for, what kind of employment is available in Japan, how much money the move would require, cost of living, etc. Pretty much, I just want to know everything I would need to do in order to do this.

Answer:


First, Quinn is wrong. Not about it not being allowed to work, but in the view of the fact that they do NOT always check for work visas. There are lots of illegals here. I worked in a company with a guy from Iran who had overstayed his visa. Everybody knew it. I knew some of his friends who were in the same boat. But you aren't supposed to work. Get caught at it and you'll be sent packing. Probably after spending some time in jail waiting to be deported.

As for costs, it depends on where you live. In the suburbs outside of Osaka I see adverts all the time for apartments in the 40,000-50,000 yen/month range. The problem is that you are not going to be here long enough on a cultural visa to sign a lease. There is the possibility of living in a gaijin house, where you have your own bedroom but share a living space with other guests. (Check out Tokyo Sakura House for an idea about these.)

It might be beneficial for you to inquire about specific schools you want to attend before worrying about costs. Like I said, the area has an impact on costs. And unless you speak the language, you might find your choices of schools to be limited.

But.....

- Check out the monthly cost of one of the gaijin houses. Times 6
- Figure on around 60,000 yen/month for food. Times 6.
- Transport depends on where you live in relation to the school. Figure 600 yen/day. Times 180.

This may not get you in the ballpark but you will at least be able to see the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment