Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How can someone teach English in Japan?

Question:


I'm really interested? I'm in my last year of high school (i'm 17) I've been studying Japanese extensively by myself and with help from separate courses since a year ago, I can hold up a basic conversation so far but I'm sure by the time I graduate college I will know more.

So exactly what do I have to do? Is there a specific thing I should study in college? How does this all work and where do I begin, do I need a certain certificate?

Answer:


In general you'll need a degree and a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate to get a visa and work.

The degree can be in almost any subject as it is usually required for the visa only so you will find teachers with a degree in Engineering or Sociology. Having said this, to help get the job it's obviously better to be English or language related, for example a degree in English literature.

The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see http://icalweb.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment