Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What is the status of women in Japan? Are they treated as equals?

Question:


I've always been incredibly interested in the Japanese culture, and I've even looked into language study and exchange programs there. However, my mother told me to 'give up' on the Japanese thing, as she believes it is very dangerous over there (Not from crime, but the fact that they are seismically active and recently got struck by typhoon Talas which followed the Tohaku earthquake) but this really doesn't bother me because they're sort of build for that stuff, and if you're far enough away from the shoreline and in a well constructed building tsunamis and earthquakes really should be no trouble.

However, what got my spirits down a little bit was when she told me how they treat women in Japan. I know it's not like the middle east or anything like that, but my Mom told me that they don't want women to work, and that they have to walk behind the man. They also apparently (I'm doubting if this is true) sit in these green grassy rooms while waiting for their spouse to return from work. I also hear that they have to wait 180 days to remarry after a divorce.

Now, I understand there has been some controversy over feminism in Japan, but I didn't know that in recent times it was this extreme. Are women in Japan treated like this today, or is it a little bit exaggerated? Please give feedback on what you know, I really appreciate it!

Answer:


-Women work. Your mom never heard of Naoko Yamazaki, a working mother who was the latest Japanese astronaut to fly into outer space? Chiaki Mukai is another female JAXA astronaut.

My former boss was a lady too.

-Of course like in all countries (including the USA, Canada etc) there are stereotype roles of men and women, of course those continue to exist in Japan as well.

-I have no idea what these green grassy rooms your mom is talking about, never seen them at any office I've been to.

-Walking behind men? Maybe hundreds of years ago (beats me). Here in the 21st century there is no prescribed rule that women walk behind men. Women walk in front, behind, next to, at an angle, etc to men on the streets.

-Again stereotypes and role genders do exist in Japan, but not to the extreme as you have mentioned there, many of them (the one's your mom spoke about) are unfounded.

Facts are that modern Japanese women are staying in school longer, taking up more and more careers. This is actually one reason why Japan has a staggering birthrate, more women working and not stopping to have a family.

Here's a question, what is your mother's "authority" "knowledge" on Japanese culture and Japanese women? Is she a university professor? She a Japanese studies student? Sociologist on Japanese culture? Or just someone who got her information mixed up by watching too much TV and hearsay?

==but the fact that they are seismically active and recently got struck by typhoon Talas which followed the Tohaku earthquake) ==

With precautions, no more dangerous then Hurricanes found on the east coast of North America. Odds are you will get killed by a drunk driver in Canada before a earthquake in Japan. Statistically speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment