Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Japanese people? Would this be rude?

Question:


Okay, well we just started school about a month ago, and I'm a freshmen. There is this girl who everyone says is Japanese. I've wanted to go up and say hi, and ask if if she knows japanese, (Shes does, everyone also says she speaks very little english.) But I'm too much fo a chickenxD Lets say I did, I don't have any idea where she came from and things like that. Besides asking where she comes from, and things of that sort, what should I say? I am VERY BAD at Japanese, but I know enought to get some basics, and then a little. Like more than the average phrases a traveler should know, but only a little. Would it be rude to tell her she looks like a gyaru? (Japanese models?) Cause she does! She has this blonde hair, and its really long and she has this really pretty gyaru makeup. I dont know if being a Gyaru is very repectable in Japan or not.... Also, do you think I SHOULD talk to her since I know a little japanese? Most of the asian kids are vietnamese, and she might be the only japanese. I dont know if she feel lonely or not. Maybe it would be nice. I just dont want her to think Im one of those crazy a** wapanesexD (Im blonde and blue eyes and like anime...so...:\)

Answer:


- gyaru? (Japanese models?)
No, it doesn't mean "model" It almost became a name of fashion style that was created among young girls in Japan. Like "Gyaru ©"
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E…

- don't know if being a Gyaru is very respectable in Japan or not....
It's notable that even Japanese government is willing to introduce "Gyaru ©" (<-- I made it up) outside of Japan as an export item, however, let's say "gyaru" is an expression that third party use....
At least people rarely ask "kimitte gyaru? (are you a gyaru?)"

- do you think I SHOULD talk to her since I know a little japanese?
If you really want to mention "gyaru", maybe you can say "gyaru fashion kimatteru ne" or something.
If the girls looks lonely, don't be so shy and think too much about talking to her. Just try to be friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment