Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Why is there an age limit on teaching English in Japan?

Question:


I'm aware that it's not a completely strict rule that they only take recent college graduates, but I was wondering why there's such a tendency for Japanese schools to want younger teachers and to set upper age limits.

Is it a cultural thing? Is it because the pay isn't great, and they think older teachers won't make a good effort for that kind of money? (Though the pay seems pretty decent today, it's close to $40,000 USD a year with today's exchange rates.)

I'm just curious and I hope it doesn't harm my chances of getting to teach English in Japan at age 33. It's something I always wanted to do and was stupidly too scared to try until now.

I have had a four different Japanese teachers throughout high school and college, one was about 40 and the other two were women around 60. The last was a 24 year old white guy. It just doesn't seem to me like age is a factor in a job like that so I'm wondering why they made it one.

Basically I'm just really hoping I don't get turned down because all the spots are taken by 22 year olds...

Answer:


You need to learn Japanese employment system more.

We have 2 major systems "Life time employment system" and "seniority system".

LTES is a system in which workers are supposed to stay at one company after college until retirement. SS is a system in which older workers can get higher position and salary.

So if they hire an older worker, they (automatically) have to pay more salary than young workers in Japan.

This is applied to all workers in Japan including Japanese people. So if you are 40 or older, it's extremely difficult to find another job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nenko_Syste…

Next time, please ask "Why is there an age limit on ALL JOBS in Japan?"

No comments:

Post a Comment