Friday, October 28, 2011

Teaching in Japan w/o a Bachelor Degree?

Question:


I am possibly looking into trying to get a working visa to teach English in Japan. I know the most popular option is to join a company like Jet and whatever Nova is now, but I would really like to open up my own conversational school there. I also plan on managing online lessons (already have the website in the developmental stage), private and corporate lessons as well.

I don't have a B.A. or B.S. but I do have an Associates in English and working towards CELTA certification. While it's not teaching experience I have been working as a freelance writer/editor for the past 4 years. I have the experience in the language (not just educational, but also written and being native born U.S.), so while I know a visa requires a B.A. or relevant work experience, given my background do you think I would be able to successfully vie for a working visa to live and start up a school in Japan?

Answer:


The Japanese government requires a BA / BS degree from a " accredited " college to qualify for a work visa. Being a freelance writer is of no value.
Sorry, the chances of opening your own school are zero. Some people like to blame me for being " negative", but that's nonsense. You need a degree.
NOVA ? They went bankrupt years ago. GEOS also went under.
Do you even realize how much it costs to open a school ? Rent, employees...materials...
JET is a program run by the Japanese government.
The site below will tell you about visas.

No comments:

Post a Comment