Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Any racial issues I need to deal in Japan?

Question:


Hi, I'm going to live in Japan, Tokyo in a hotel relatively close to Akihabara for work (IT) for about 2 months. Ive heard from my other colleagues that Japanese people tend to be xenophobic towards brown people, especially muslims. Im probably also going to the tokyo mosque regulary, but my question is to what degree if any are they like that and what do I need to brace myself for? (I do have a little bit experience when I went to Houston).

Answer:


All I have to say is, if someone in Japan doesn't like you, they tend to be more polite about it to your face, compared to Houston. I've never been to Japan myself, but my friends (who wear hijab) got along fine with my native Japanese classmates when we were all in the same class. Japanese people are very polite in general, and will not deliberately offend you to your face. It'll probably be much different from Houston, and you probably won't need any "bracing" at all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment