Friday, November 11, 2011

Differences in and in i adj. and na adji., and te + iru and aru and base conj.?

Question:


Okay, so this would be my third or fourth japanese grammar question asked. I'm really puzzled on two things.
1. Why do people say the base te of a verb + iru and aru. For example, saying I have eaten - tabete-aru. and to say I am eating eating- tabete-iru. Isn't that equivualent to I eat- taberu (taberimasu) or I ate- tabeta (tabemashita) Why would I say one and not the other? Is the difference what I just explained? ( I eat-taberu vs. I am eating- tabete iru/ I ate- tabeta vs. I have eaten- tabeta aru)

2. Useing a i adjective and adding -kute is equivalent to useing and, except you don't use kute on the last I adjective. samukute (samui) atsui. cold and hot. What do I use for the na adjective? I have the i adjective down already.

Any help and awnsers are highly apprecitated. Thank you for your consideration when awnsering if you choose to awnser. If you give setences please translate it too, because I am just a beginner. Thank you!

Answer:


I thought you people were native Japanese...C'mon, now you should know this. There is a time where you can use -te aru.

It's used with verbs to suggest that a state has been completed.

Mado ga shimatte imasu.
The window is closed.= Is how we usually say that,

Mado ga akete arimasu.
The window is opened (implying somebody did it for some reason)

Other examples:
1. Asa ni naru to panyasan ha pan wo mise ni narabemasu.
Kyou mo oishii pan ga mise ni narande arimasu.

Every morning, the baker lines up bread in the bakery window.
Today too, lots of good bread is on display at the shop.

2. [pasupooto ha dou shita?]
[Kaban no naka ni irete arimasu. Nakusanai you ni, sakki iretan desu.]

Where's your passport?
It's in my bag (lit. It has been put in my bag) I put it in here a minute ago so I wouldn't lose it.

So this is a special usage to given a reason that something is in the state it is. (narande aru, shimete aru.) Note that it is only used with transitive verbs (verbs that can take a direct object.)

tabete aru normally wouldn't be said but I bet it can be used, but....it's best just to remember to use te iru. You will rarely if never use the grammar point I was talking about.

Wow, you need to slow down and stop asking so many questions.

In English, we say "I eat" vs. "I am eating" vs. "I have eaten" vs. "I ate" all of these have different meanings which I hope you understand.

Tabete aru is not something you will ever see, and it's not equivalent to the English you think it is.

taberu I eat (like a schedule or routine "I eat ice cream every day.")
tabeta I ate Mou tabeta ("I've already eaten.")
tabete iru I am eating. (like right now)

JUST LIKE ENGLISH
reg. form present tense--- something that you eat. Making a general statement. Oh? Celery? Yeah, I eat that. When I'm in Japan, I eat lots of sushi.

present. continuous: NOW right now I am eating cookies. There are cookie crumbs on my finger as I type because I am doing it NOW.

Natto Tabeta koto ga aru? Have you ever eaten- natto-?

This is like the past tense, but instead of asking a specific time in the past, it is asking from birth until right now, have you done something. Have you had this experience?

Have you seen the new Twilight movie? (Point in time is not important---whether or not you HAVE seen it is important.)
When did you see the Twilight movie. (HAVE has disappeared because we are asking about a specific point in time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment