Friday, November 11, 2011

What are Japanese moving customs?

Question:


I know that it is traditional for the person moving into the neighborhood to present the new neighbors with soba, but is it outdated? I'm doing an essay for my Japanese class and read 「神様」("Kamisama") by 川上弘美 (Kawakami Hiromi) and it said that it is rarely done anymore, but I've seen it a lot in manga (yes I know that isn't exactly the best indicator of what's common in a culture). Are there any other moving customs in Japan? In the story the character who had moved (a bear) had passed out postcards to his new neighbors when he moved in along with the soba, but I had never heard anything about postcards before…

Answer:


Well, some people give some stuffs to new neighbors when he moved. But it does not have to be soba. It could be anything. And you don't need to give something all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment