Saturday, November 12, 2011

Living: Korea vs Japan?

Question:


Hello! I'm considering moving to Asia when I grow up and I am wondering:
Which place would be better for me to live as a foreigner?
I happen to enjoy each culture very much but torn at which language I should study!
Which place is more accepting of foreigners?
Which language is easier to learn?
Which place would I have a better chance of living a good life?
and Which place would I just have an overall better experience?

Please no bashing other countries or telling me to " just stay in your own country" !
Thank you very much!

Answer:


1. Which place would be better for me to live as a foreigner?

- it depends on what you look for in a new environment.

2. I happen to enjoy each culture very much but torn at which language I should study!

- usually people prefer either language due to the appeal of the culture/soft power (J-pop/K-pop/Japanese or Korean dramas/manga, etc.); so it depends on whether you prefer the Japanese or Korean culture and soft power in general

3. Which place is more accepting of foreigners?

- both Japan and Korea are pretty nationalistic and defensive of their own culture and identity; certain cities like Tokyo and Seoul are more foreigner-friendly though; But if you're talking about "accepting" of foreigners who intend to stay for a long time, I think its Korea (partly because the Japanese will always treat foreigners as a gaijin)

4. Which language is easier to learn?

- for me, I think Japanese is easier to learn but it might not be so for others. But that's because i'm more interested in learning Japanese than Korean, hence easier for me.

- so pick the language that interests you more

5. Which place would I have a better chance of living a good life?

- what do you mean by "a good life" ?
- if you mean by being able to save up a lot for entertainment and other personal expenses, i'd say Korea because the cost of living there is way lower than Japan's

- but then again, there might be other factors in Japan that might offer you a better life

6. Which place would I just have an overall better experience?

- For me personally, i'd say Japan.
- but for you, it might be different because you might have a different preference from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment