Thursday, November 3, 2011

What do I say when somebody dies?

Question:


As in how do you offer your condolences? Im in Japan and one of my friend's relatives just passed away and I know in America you'd say something something along the lines of "I'm sorry to hear that" or "May he/she rest in peace" . I think its "Okuyami wo Moushiagemasu"(おくやみをもうしあげます) but I'm not sure and I'm too embarrassed to ask somebody about it so if anybody could tell me I'd appreciate it.

Answer:


If you are not native speaker of Japanese, it's not appropriate to use Japanese with inappropriate accent in this particular case. Somebody might be offended.
You'd better say, "I'm sorry to hear that" in English. Most Japanese can understand it, and you can express your feeling without misunderstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment