Sunday, April 17, 2011

Is it safe to vacation in Hawaii since Japan dumped contaminated radiation water in the pacific ocean?

Question:


My family and I are planning a vacation at Waikiki in Sept. I am concerned about the elevation of radiation in the ocean. I don't want to expose my children to long term effects of radiation exposure. I don't know if I can believe the media or government about true levels of radiation. I would really like to know where I can get factual information about these levels. Also, it makes me wonder why we have not heard of any real illness that have occured from this disaster?

Answer:


Iodine-131 has a half life of 8 days. This means every 8 days, it is "less radioactive" by 50% of its current level. Combine that with the fact that there are billions of gallons of water between Japan and Hawaii moving in every which direction and you'll find that the contaminated radiation water poses absolutely zero threat to vacationers in Hawaii (and much of Japan).

No comments:

Post a Comment