Friday, April 1, 2011

Now is Tokyo tap water safe to drink?

Question:


Is there still traces of radiation in the tap water? I left Japan shortly after the quake hit but now I'm wondering whether it is safe to come back. I'm most concerned about radiation levels in the food and water supply.

Answer:


Ministry of Education monitors tap water and background radiation in all of the to-do-fu-ken, so you can check. They say it's safe for babies to drink, now. (This according to the Daily Yomiuri.)

It also helps to have a radiation chart so you can check the numbers with some every-day-radiation.

As far as food goes, the gov't has stopped shipments from four prefectures with high radiation (I think I read this in the Daily Yomiuri), and basically, as long as you get produce from Kyushu or Hokkaido, you should be safe. Or of course, from overseas. (The Daily Yomiuri in English is on-line, btw.)

Finally, I would check with your embassy's website. They should have a lot of info and good links to reasonable sources. The US embassy went overboard, I think, but they did it in such a way that you felt they were a little embarrassed about it. Their links are good.

Only you can decide if you feel safe coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment