Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Japanese dialects and roughly corresponding American accents?

Question:


(I'm sorry if this has been asked before and that I don't sound like a typical pushy American. I'll delete it, if you want. *nervous*)

Which Japanese dialects do you think would correspond to which American regional accents?

Tokyo dialect and the Midwest accent are both considered standard, so that one's obvious, I guess. I'm lost on New York and the surrounding areas. The reputation for being aggressive and how well-known it is makes me think Kansai, but the confusing accents and how it goes from urban to rural and back again very quickly makes me think Touhoku.

What do you think? よろしければお願いします。m(___)m

Answer:


Southern US accent = Kyushu dialects particularly Hakata-ben
Brooklyn accent = Kansai particularly Osaka & the Yakuza accent


That's all I can think of. American accents aren't as diverse as Japanese dialects and accents. American accents all sound the same with the exception of strong Southern accents. Tohoku dialects like Akita and Kyushu dialects like Kagoshima (which is a notorious dialect) does not fall under any American accents.

Accents are different from Dialects by the way. So it's hard to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment