Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Moving to Japan for college?

Question:


First of all, I'm thirteen years old and live in the United States. I was born and raised here, but have always been interested in Japanese culture. Right now I'm planning to finish up middle school and high school here, and move to Japan for college. So far I've always gotten good grades and am planning on working hard in high school so I can get into a good college. I'm not sure which college I'd like to attend, but I figure I have plenty of time to figure that part out. I wouldn't mind moving to a smaller town in Japan rather than a large city like Tokyo. Also, I'm starting to learn Japanese now and, if needed, my mother says she would pay for a private tutor to get me speaking fluently by the time I turn eighteen.
What I really need to know is: What would the prices of everything be? I've heard of what is a Key Rent, or something? Also, should I start saving now, if it will be expensive? Will I be able to get a job while I am attending college?
Another thing: I'm vegetarian, will this be a problem in finding foods in Japan? In America, I'm fine living off of fake meat, beans, rice, pasta, veggies, and ramen. Will I be able to find all of those in Japan?
Any other information would be a great help to me. I know it seems a bit soon to be worrying about all this, but I'd like to be prepared for when I go. :)
Thank you in advance for your answers! :D

Answer:


So far the answers have been weird.

If you are interested in Japan be prepared. First things first, you need to learn to speak Japanese. Best to start now. :P

Learning Japanese takes about 4-5 years to be fluent.

You also have to be accepted into the Japanese school, pay for it, and then get a Student visa to travel to Japan, I wont give you detail on how to get, because this is in the future, rules can change.

The cost of school can be anywhere between 15,000$ - 60,000$ depending on what you are taking.


If you move to Osaka Japan, you can find a lot of houses with very cheap rent, about 200$ for an appartment. Some appartments charge key fee, some don't. Some cities in Japan have really cheap rents, some don't.

Yes, start saving now. The more money you have the better. You not only have to have lots of money to pay, in order to get visa, you need to show that you actually have enough to support yourself while your stay + it will cost quite a bit.

You might be able to get a job, but it depends on your visa that you get. You will have to see at that time.


Veggitarianism isn't very popular in Japan. But you never know by the time you go there. Most people right now don't know what it is though. They do have the same food you can find here, just Japanese brands.

Heres a website to help you learn Japanese


http://www.123japanese.com

- Teaches full Japanese lesson free
- Polite, Casual and slang Japanese (all Japanese)
- Fully explains lessons
- Teaches kanji and kana aswell
- Has video lessons
- Books, vocabulary lists and a forum to help you learn

They also have a youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/123japanesecom



http://www.japanesepod101.com

- Has many lessons
- unfortunately not free, you only get 1 week free trial (but just keep signing up with fake email)
- Teaches polite and casual Japanese


http://www.maggisensei.com

- It teaches random lessons
- Detailed lessons on wide variety of topics
- Casual and polite Japanese

No comments:

Post a Comment