Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Anything I should know about hosting a Japanese exchange student?

Question:


In about a month, I will be hosting an exchange student from Osaka, Japan. She's 16, and will be staying for two and a half weeks. Is there anything I should know before she comes? Any American customes that would seem rude to her, or vice-versa? Is there anything I could do to make her feel at home? Also, I want to give her a gift upon arrival, but I have NO idea what to get... any ideas?

Answer:


Well Japanese customs do differ from American ones, but I can't think of one that would insult her. I know some underage kids in Japan drink because it's the norm there but I'm most certain she won't be drinking in front of you or behind your back. No worries :)

I'm sure she is going to be really shy and that's a given considering she will be living with strangers. I think it's best just to be really understanding, patient, and kind and try to explain a few things as you show her around your house.

To make her feel at home, I say just try to include her on a lot of different activities whether they're family oriented or friend oriented. Like show her around your town and try to do fun activities. Shopping is always a great pastime too :) Some examples of things to do: miniature golfing, bowling, amusement parks, go-karting, kayaking (throwing it in there lol), or even just checking out some historical sites or parks if you have them in your area would all sound fun. :) Try to find out what she likes to do. I think it would be really cool if you guys did like a music swap or something. That way you could both bond over that. :)

As a gift it can be something as simple as candy. I know they don't have a lot of candy in Japan that we have such as Snickers, Baby Ruth's, Starbursts, Skittles, Reese's, Rice Krispie Treats, ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment