Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Good souvenirs to take to Japan?

Question:


I realise this is probably a question that has been answered before and I tried to look it up but couldn't really find anything totally relevant. Feel free to post a link to an older question though if you think that answers it.

I will be moving to Japan in July for work and have been encouraged to bring some souvenirs with me. I'm not sure exactly how many I should take but I will try and enquire some more to get an idea. I spoke to my Japanese tutor and recommended for small gifts (like for co-workers) just some chocolate and tea in a small gift bag. But she recommended chocolate like Lindt and tea such as Dilma because they are expensive right now in Japan. Are these really good gift ideas? I'm from Australia so I thought it should be something local (which those items are not). I know, or at least have been told, that Japanese like food items as souvenirs but.....I guess we don't have anything that unique. The only thing would be Macadamia nuts but my teacher said she thinks the American ones are better and most Japanese don't realise macadamias are from Australia and not America any way so they wouldn't see it as a local gift.

She also discouraged me from buying Australian grown tea as a gift (understandable, I don't drink it myself)....but then I'm not sure I see the point in buying tea as a gift if it's not going to be Australian?

I know I'm going on a bit, but I'd like to take gifts that people will appreciate, even the small gifts. Also, for my supervisor and boss I was going to take a good bottle of Australian wine. My teacher thought this was a good idea as long as it's not a brand already available in Japan, but since I'm asking here I thought I might as well get opinions on this as well?

Any suggestions?

Answer:


Tea and chocolates are a good idea because they get used up and don't take a lot of space in small homes. (Don't bring TimTams, we can get them over here!) Small soaps are okay, and the idea about bringing keychains is good...I have so many keychains I've got over the years! Also good are things like pens, pencils with Australian things on them, note paper might be okay. Any local food that's okay to bring and yummy is good too.

Even if the tea isn't grown in Australia, it'll be packaged for Australians and probably blended specially too. It'll likely be different than what we get here, and even if it isn't, it would be appreciated!

When I go to Canada and buy souvenirs for my students (mostly adults) I bring handmade soaps and tea from a Canadian store. They've been gratefully received. I sometimes bring candy or chocolate too, but some kinds aren't as good as Japanese chocolate!

Can't help you much on the wine...just you'd have to be careful if you need to transfer planes in Japan due to the liquids on board the plane rules. I think you have to put them in your suitcase if you are transferring...maybe another poster can comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment