Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Do the Japanese resent foreigners learning their language?

Question:


I was once interested in learning Japanese because I was curious about Japan and its culture, and in fact I got as far as learning Katakana and Hiragana, but I stopped learning the language because someone told me that the Japanese have a particular contempt for foreigners who take a strong interest in their language and culture. I was told that they find it invasive and creepy.

Please don't think me selfish, but I see little purpose in learning a language if all the native speakers of it will only feel contempt towards me for my effort. If I am going to go to the trouble of learning a language, I would at least expect indifference. Possibly even a bit of admiration. But contempt? That is a response I do not understand.

The reason I want to verify this fact is because an online friend of mine who is half-Japanese wants me to resume learning the language, and I'm having a hard time getting him to understand why I think it's a bad idea despite my interest in Japanese culture.

You see, if the Japanese actually DO feel contempt/discomfort towards people who attempt to learn their language, then I feel I should respect their boundaries and avoid learning any more about them, even if I am interested.

At this point, if I ever went to visit Japan, I would feel obligated to limit myself to the tourist areas, following a guide, buying souvenirs, and avoid showing any interest in Japanese people themselves, in order to avoid causing them discomfort.

Am I correct in assuming that this is how the Japanese would prefer me to behave? Or not?

Answer:


Yes and no.

The Japanese feel that a foreigner who learns their language is genuinely interested in their culture. They think it a compliment.

The problem is if you learn it TOO WELL, then some Japanese may feel uncomfortable (not contempt) with you. It's almost as if you invaded their personal space. I will share a big secret with you when it comes to the Japanese - deep down they are very insecure about others knowing them too well. This applies to not just foreigners but fellow Japanese, too. When a non-Japanese is too fluent, some Japanese may feel that they are an open book.

Living your life based on the idiosyncrasies of a few people you may or may not ever meet is silly. Learn Japanese to the best of your abilities and let the chips fall where they may.

No comments:

Post a Comment