Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Are there non-exclusive ALT positions in Japan?

Question:


I haven't received my bachelor's degree yet, but have been doing excessive research on becoming in ALT in Japan. I have passed the level 3 JLPT and plan on taking 2 soon. I also know which jobs pay well, let you choose location, provide accommodation, and/or require a visa sponsorship. But I was wondering if there were any ALT positions are ESL teaching positions that are non-exclusive. Meaning if you work for them, their contract does not state you work for them exclusively. Although I want to be an ALT I'd love to do occasional freelance work on the side, but some contracts say you have to work exclusively for a company or school, or they don't mention anything on the subject at all.

Hopefully someone knows.
Thanks.

Answer:


You need a four year degree to qualify for a work visa. You also need a job offer before you get there. Most contracts are for one year. You'll be working for whatever school hires you. It costs them time and money to sponsor your employment. Few places will let you choose the location you work. Most will give you a list to choose from.
Knowing Japanese isn't an issue as most schools don't want Japanese to be used in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment