Thursday, June 23, 2011

Can I get my prescriptions in Japan?

Question:


I'm going to study abroad for 11 months, and won't be coming home during the winter break. Right now I need to prepare my medication, but I heard that you can't bring more than a 6 month supply of medication with you, you can't have the medication mailed to you (so says my student handbook), and you can't fill a prescription made in America in Japan.

So is it likely that a doctor in Japan will prescribe the same medication, even though it's for depression and anxiety?

Here are my prescriptions:
Citalopram (Brand name Celexa)
Buspar (Buspirone)

I realize this question might be a little difficult, so thank you very, very much in advance to any who try to answer my question for me!

Answer:


Citalopram/Celexa is "still under investigation in Japan or have dropped their pursuit on gaining entry into the Japanese market".

The statement "The lack of buspirone and SSRIs in the market may contribute to the widespread prescription of BZDs in Japan." leads me to believe that the second drug may also be unavailable. (Though there seems to be a LOT of sites to buy Buspar online.)

Furthermore, it should not be assumed that a comparable substitute will be available. For instance, take the drug Antabuse, used in the treatment of alcoholism. Makes the patient violently ill upon ingestion of even small quantities of alcohol. This drug is not available in Japan. Instead a drug is used that is designed to try to help the patient learn to drink in a normal manner. The medicine can be taken and alcohol consumed, with no ill effects, just so long as the drinking is done in 'moderation'. Two entirely different drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment