Friday, June 10, 2011

In Japanese onsen's, could i buy some kind of spandex band to cover the tattoo on the upper part of my arm?

Question:


When i was in Beppu, having a tattoo was just fine, but when i was in Nagoya, i learned about how Japanese Onsen's don't like tattoos. I really didn't know about onsen's until recently and i have had my tattoo a little over a year now. I read on forums that as long as they don't see you come in with it, you're fine and i also hear that its not cool to have one there regardless of where they catch you. When i was in Nagoya, they asked me to leave right before i got to the locker room. is there a way i could buy like a spandex sleeve to cover my upper bicep? i'm not too worried about my skin color. its on the arm that hangs out the window of the car, so it gets the most sun anyways.

Answer:


No need to start putting down the intelligence level of the forum.

What you are encountering is a result of there not being any law but just preference. Onsen may do whatever they want. They could care less if you complain. So you just have to get over it. There is no logic as to which ones allow tattoos and which don't. As for confusing you with a member of yakuza, I doubt that will happen. But the thing is that once they draw a line, the line is drawn. For the yakuza and for you.

That being said, the general opinion is that the onsen don't object over what they don't see. Smaller tattoos that are covered with band aids supposedly cause no problems. Your idea of a spandex band seems like a decent idea, though the way you worded your question is sounds as if you want to buy the band in the onsen. Don't think you meant that, which is good, because that won't be happening.

Is there a way you could buy a spandex sleeve to cover your upper bicep? Of course there is. You buy the sleeve and put it on. Will it work? Only giving it a try will tell. If I had to guess, I would say it would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment