Sunday, June 5, 2011

Is there much demand for English teachers in Japan especially in Tokyo or Kyoto?

Question:




Answer:


I suggest that you try South Korea where there seems to be a steady demand for teachers. The pay is reasonably good as well and South Korea is an interesting country. I lived there many years ago and I could pick and choose among well-paid jobs, with some extra private work on the side.

Nowadays ESL teachers are a dime a dozen. There is competition from online schools, even the low quality ones from the Philippines, which is what "Why", the Japanese guy, is referring to. When I went into ESL decades ago, there were plenty of ESL jobs to find because there was not a glut of teachers. The pay was good, too. Now it seems that everyone wants to work in ESL. I still do ESL but I work online with a quality school of truly native English speakers. That way I can take my job anywhere I want to go, as long as I have a reliable internet set-up. However, the wages have deceased for online teaching as well, to half of what they were ten years ago. Again, it is because there is always someone out there ready to grab a job online for extra income.

ESL is fine for a few years to "see the world" but if you make it a career expect a life of barely making ends meet for the rest of your life. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment