Thursday, July 28, 2011

Do the Japanese enjoy having Americans in Japan?

Question:


In the future I would like to go to Japan. But, I was wondering if the Japanese enjoy having Americans over there, or if they dislike it. Please let me know.

Answer:


Wow, there seems to be a lot more racism on this board than there is in Japan.

I have lived in Japan for over 4 years now, and I can honestly say that most Japanese are not particularly racist. In big cities like Tokyo and Osaka they see lots of foreigners, and you'll be pretty much ignored, the same way you would at home. In smaller places, they don't see many foreigners, and it is true that some young kids will point and stare - but that's just because they are surprised, intrigued and in some cases a bit scared maybe. Even some adults will stare, but they are generally not doing it intentionally. You are there and you are different, so their eyes naturally go to you.

In my experience (something most people here don't seem to have), Japanese people are generally kind to a fault - provided you are a decent, respectful human being. You'll be fine. In fact, I am confident you'll be more than just fine - you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment