Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Best time to give host family gifts?

Question:


I am staying with a host family for a semester in Japan through college. I brought gifts but I arrived late the first night, then it got so busy after that and I never had time to wrap the gifts... Now I've been here one week and I still haven't given them. Would it be better to wait until I leave to give the gifts? I don't want to be like "oh by the way I brought you guys gifts even though I've been here a week", but I'm not sure if it would be more weird to give them when I leave?

Answer:


Since the gifts are not from Japan, the sooner you give it to them, the better.

Just tell them the truth:
You were busy so you didn't have the time and chance to give it to them. They would understand since you are a student studying at another country.

If you say that you just found the gifts in your stuff, it would sound as if you bought it for yourself but you don't need it anymore. So don't say it like that casually.

Say something like:
I bought these presents from (wherever you got them from) for you guys as a token of appreciation for allowing me to stay with you and taking care of me. I was busy in the first few days so I didn't have the chance to give them to you yet but I hope you will enjoy it anyways. The gifts are blah blah blah and does blah blah blah and they blah blah blah and so on.

This way it would seem that you got the gifts just for them (which you did) and still remembered them even though you were so busy with your studies and moving in and all that. It would probably give them a better impression of you.

Hope that helped! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment