Saturday, August 27, 2011

College in Japan? Is it a good idea?

Question:


I've lived in California all my life and during my life I've always loved the Japanese culture which has nothing to do with the fact that i am 1/16th Japanese.
I tell my parents everyday that as soon as I'm 18 I'm out about and going straight to Japan.
The only person I know in Japan is My uncle Hiro but he's always outta town.
Currently I'm 16 and want to go to college in japan but i'm not really sure i know enough about apartments in japan or even colleges, is it even possible to apply to a college in Japan while in California?
Can i get advice on college admissions or apartments maybe even both.
I need advice as soon as possible.
I'm going to college in tokyo.
I've never applied for college, obviously and i want to know really how do i do it?
I'm thinking about moving to Shibuya, Mitaka, Osaki, Nippori, Nakano, Funabori, Shinjuku, Nerima, or Nishi Kasai. but i don't know which town is the cheapest.

Give me your best advice please

P.s. Can you get a Japanese work visa in America?

Answer:


It's a good idea, just a difficult one.

The only cases I've heard of non-Japanese studying at college or university in Japan (and I've met a lot of people who have done so), were people who already had a bachelor degree in their own country first, then went over for some post-grad study.

Not only that, but in Japan, university is really difficult to get into. There are lots of private colleges though that could be easier to get in to, but how good is your Japanese?

You realize that going to a college in Japan is going to assume that you understand Japanese, right?

I think it's a great idea, and I hope the best for you, but there's a lot to do.

Yes, you can get a work visa in the U.S., but a company needs to sponsor you first. So, how do you get a Japanese company to hire you overseas if you're only 18 and don't have a bachelor degree?

Who's this uncle? Your best bet could be to live with your uncle. Find a job in Japan once you're there. It'll be easier to be offered a job, but it would probably have to be one-on-one private English tutoring, or something else that's done under the table. Usually work visas in Japan require a bachelor degree, no matter what you're doing. Maybe you can get some special work visa due to your student status. Of course you'll need a student visa too, which means that a college or university has to accept you into their program first.

Apartments can be expensive in Japan, especially in Tokyo. If you've already got loads of money from your parents, then that's cool. Some colleges have dorms.

You haven't said what you want to study or if you understand Japanese. A lot is going to depend on those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment