Sunday, September 25, 2011

How hard is it to be accepted in Japan?

Question:


So, I am an artist with an interest in manga as a professional. I might decide to stay there indefinitely. All I would like to know how hard it is for an American to be accepted into Japanese culture, in particular the manga/otaku sub-culture. If possible, I would like someone who is a native of Japan or has traveled there for at least one semester before.

Answer:


As noted, the visa will be a problem. In order to hold a visa, you need to earn more than 220,000 yen a month here. You cannot make that working in a shop. You would need a better job to live here. You might be able to get a job as a manga artist, but that market is saturated, and you'd be competing with native Japanese speakers for a job in a Japanese company. I doubt you'd be competitive.

Being accepted as a person won't be hard, provided you are a nice individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment