Saturday, September 10, 2011

Obtaining a job in Japan?

Question:


As of right now I'm a year one college student in a community college. I will get my GPA up while I get my Associates in general studies then after transfer to a better school for an undecided bachelors.
Im also currently studying Japanese (Vocab and Kanji right now) and hope to be done before I graduate.
I've heard that getting a job in Japan for foreigners is a tough experience so I'm looking to get a leg up before I begin. Can anyone offer any advice on how to do get a job? Like what's an ideal bachelor or generally how to look for a job? Its discouraged looking for one on a tourist trip but people still do it? When applying am I aloud to just walk in and ask if their hiring? Also are there any rules on foreigners opening businesses in Japan? Could I open up a shop if I have the money?

Answer:


Generally you just don't walk into a Japanese company and ask if they are hiring, you contact them beforehand or research advertisements.

It depends on what you want to do (what do you want to do?), there aren't many jobs out there other then English instruction for new graduates without any other specialized skills or experience. Looking to get a leg up on English instruction? Get some experience, volunteer doing ESL jobs or similar in your country for example. At least a bit of experience will put you in the que ahead of other new graduates with no experience but below folks who have more experience.

As for opening a business, yes there are some specialized rules in regards to visa status etc. For example a minimum investment of 5 million Japanese yen (plus associated costs) to start the business in order to qualify for a business-investor visa status.

No comments:

Post a Comment