Saturday, September 10, 2011

What would it be like to work as a biology researcher in Japan?

Question:


I'm American and would like to live in Japan. I will at least finish my bachelor's here; I will probably obtain my Ph.D. here unless it is better in Japan? How hard is it to obtain a research position and about how much would I make?

Answer:


Tanya,

I have done this. In fact, I'm doing it right now.

It is possible, certainly in the short term, harder in the long term. Your degree will have to be followed up by a PhD. In the UK, you can skip the Masters, but in Japan you'd need to do a masters degree, then your PhD. There are plenty of nay-sayers on here, but I personally know non-Japanese who have done both. Certainly it isn't easy, and being fluent in Japanese would be a big help (but not necessary - I know several people here doing PhDs who don't speak Japanese). In my university (Tsukuba), ALL PhD theses in biology are submitted and defended in English. You may be able to get a MEXT scholarship for your masters or PhD (but I don't think you can get both). The MEXT scholarship pays all your tuition, your airfare and about 170,000 yen a month.

Once you get your PhD, you can apply for a JSPS post-doctoral fellowship for foreign researchers. The currently pay 365,000 yen a month or thereabouts (check the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science website), plus airfares and a settling in allowance if you are coming from overseas.

Unfortunately, after your JSPS fellowship it will be hard to get another fellowship. Probably, you would need to find a professor with a research grant that they are willing to employ you on, since you can't apply for another JSPS position.

Another possibility is trying to get a RIKEN post-doc. They pay a lot more, but are harder to get. If I knew more about your research interests and your background I could tell you more. I think NIABS also have a similar PD.

Going beyond that, to Assistant Professor level (where I am now), is very very hard. Jobs at that level are very hard to come by, although admittedly, I was asked only 2 weeks ago if I knew any young, foreign, female PhD holders looking for an Assistant Professor position we are trying to create, so it's not impossible.

Anyway, it is possible. It will take a lot of work. You can email me with more information about what you'd like to do and I'll try and advise you further.

No comments:

Post a Comment