Monday, October 31, 2011

Are there many rich people in Japan?

Question:


I am friends with an international student who is from Japan. His dad is an Economics professor in Japan with a PHD degree and his mom owns a company (not a big company though). He isn't from Toyko though, which is known as a very expensive city to live in. He lives very frugally here in the USA as a college student though. He has roommates and whatnot, and he tries his best to save money as opposed to spending it. He even goes out of his way to save money. I know this isn't really my business, but I'm just wondering about Japanese culture anyway LOL. Does he sound rich for Japanese people, or upper middle-class based on my description? What are the wealthy's and middle-class people in Japan's life like? Thank you for answering. :)

Answer:


Being a teacher or college professor is a very highly respected position in Japan (probably much more so than in the US). I can't say anything about his mother's job, but given that he is also studying abroad in the US, his family probably has a lot of money and occupies a high social status.

I assume that he must just be rather frugal or his parents aren't showering him with money.

I am dying to know why you're trying to figure out your friend's social status :) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment