Monday, October 31, 2011

Why do so many foreigners (most of them are Americans, I guess) respond to Qs for Japanese only?

Question:


Do they want to pretend to be a Japanese (in vain in most cases) or, are they sick and tired of being an American?
BTW, this Q is open to everybody.

Answer:


I guess it depends on what the question is. If someone asks a question about the language and I know the answer, I will respond anyway. I think its really dumb to ask "How do you say "how are you?" in Japanese?" and ask for only Japanese people to respond. Its unnecessary. My Japanese is not any where close to perfect. (I think you know that) But I have the added benefit of a learners (and translator's) perspective. I think, sometimes, that can yield a better answer than a native speaker can provide.

However, as for questions like "What do Japanese people think about this?- Japanese only" I think most people who answer those questions are just trying to help when they see that a question is going unanswered. (or just trying to get more points.) I don't think that any Americans here THINK that they are Japanese. I would hope that most of them don't hate being American (though I know that many do.) However, some people may think they know more about Japanese than Japanese do. That's dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment