Saturday, October 22, 2011

DISCUSSION: Racism in Japan, Any opinions?

Question:


I'm a white guy and I've been living in Japan for the past 4 years and speak fluent Japanese. I was speaking to my buddy khatz who'se been living in Japan for quite a while too. Any time we have had a misunderstanding or encountered something that seems along the lines of "racism", we usually can deal with it fairly easily. We have both experienced racism towards not being able to "get an apartment" and being "stopped by racial profiling " cops, etc.. Has anyone else experienced this?

But I shot this video around 2 years ago. I'm not the guy to quickly assume bad stuff about Japan, cause I've been living here for the past 4 years of my life so I know what's going on.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6D5HgI2…

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb0vHhB_r…

Oh and for anyone that's quick to assume I'm racist, than eat a big one.

Seriously guys, This country is great, any time you think there is "RACISM" going on, take a step back, learn Japanese fluently, live here for a couple years like I have and be intregrated into the culture before assuming that Japan is racist or I'm racist for opening up this discussion.

If you're interested in all this and wanna know more about Japan from a foreigners perspective, than check out my channel.

YouTube: TkyoSam

Answer:


Sorry Sam racism does exist here in Japan and your friend Khatz seems like one of those Japan can do no wrong kind of people and makes excuses for Japan. It's nonsense that "unless you are looking for it" it does not exist.

In my 2 years here I had a difficult time getting an apartment, seen a few Japanese only signs, had "GAIJIN" shouted at me often in my old neighborhood (mostly by older men), had high schoolers throw candy at me and chant ami gaijin, the "gaijin bubble" on the train, been discriminated against at work by Japanese co-workers, been stopped my the cops often en route to work as I pass the Koban and asked for my ARC/gaijin card. I have a thick skin so it's not a HUGE concern to me. People who have thin skin probably should not choose Japan to live.

I find it sad that the mindset is the typical American love it or leave it. Why not change it? What bugs me is the "Japan is perfect" mindset and ignoring or denying any problems it has. EVERY country has problems and there is no utopia.

Also I disagree that other countries are worse when it comes to racism (I've been to over 30 countries and lived in 5 for more than a year). Luckily I am not Korean or Chinese as they get treated far far worse here. I had a Chinese girlfriend here and she was treated terribly enough to the point she returned back to China.

No comments:

Post a Comment