Saturday, October 22, 2011

Is Japanese culture more different to Western culture than Chinese culture?

Question:


by Western I'm talking about the general American culture.

Answer:


I'm Japanese.
Frankly I want to write as I feel about differences.

I've traveled China alone a decade ago, went to Qufu which is the holy place of Confucianism and legendary Mt.Tai which is a special place among Chinese like Mt.Fuji for Japanese.
I've talked many Chinese people lived in there with not fluent Chinese and some English.
I didn't feel much differences in culture.
Btw Japan and China there is unhappy history but once we talk each other I feel sympathy and same origin.
I felt Chinese people I met in my travel like my country uncle and felt old beautiful Japan which we Japanese lost now.

For Japanese, The most influential events over 200 year most of us consider are WWII and the end of edo era breaking closing country. (and unhappy now adding tragedy earthquake and Fukushima...)
Japanese democracy and capitalism starts at imitation imported by Western.
It's exactly well done good working as surface now.

Obama said the important thing is not the nation do for you but you do for the nation.
Japanese complains to politics only.
I think Japanese conscious about democracy is more or less lower than Western.

American the most influential event over 200 year I guess is the Great Depression and war of independence?
I've read Adam Smith and J.M.Keynes.
I know Adam Smith say free trade against mercantilism.
And I know how America suffer and conquer the Grate Depression and what Keynes consider.
They were born in Western culture and Western acquire as own culture.
There is no superior economic blog in Japan like Calculated Risk and so on.
Japanese economist has never got Nobel prize.
I think Japanese democracy and capitalism is immature yet and not reach to understand its essential as whole culture.

I feel somewhat a little difference speaking to Western, basically as same human being so I feel no big difference. But I feel Western a foreigner often while speaking.

Japan is strongly affected by Confucianism and Buddha through over 1000-2000 year.
My feeling is more different to Western than Chinese.

No comments:

Post a Comment