Sunday, November 13, 2011

Getting a job in Japan?

Question:


I'm a senior in high school, currently, but it's never too early to start thinking about a career. This is kind of a two part question, actually.
First, as white, female, foreigner, what are my chances of being accepted there? (I kind of know this, already, but would like to get other opinions) Also, what are my chances of getting a job?

Second, speaking of jobs, I would like to teach English as a Second Language there, do my chances improve of getting a job? Basically, would the chose a native English speaker to teach English there over a Japanese?

Also, when I was talking to my teacher about how best to get the degree I wanted (I've looked, but couldn't find an English as a Second Language degree. I found some online degrees, but I don't want an online degree) and he told me to look into whether they (the people hiring me) would want someone with an actual English degree, or a teaching degree and a minor in Japanese or English or something along those lines.

Since this does pertain to my future, if you could give me some legitimate sources, that'd be great.
Thank you!

Answer:


First thing to bear in mind is teaching English in Japan is more often not a career. Most people get burned out just after the first year or two. They get homesick. They get tired living in a country where most people don't speak English. They get tired of having to repeat the same things over and over again.
Most schools want a native English speaker. And most schools don't want Japanese to be used in the classroom.
Avoid on line degrees. They are useless. In Japan, you need a BA / BS degree from an " accredited"
college. That's the wording they use.
You really need to give some serious thought as to what you want to do in the long term. Chances are good teaching English in Japan won't be it. You need something to fall back on. Taking classes to be a teacher will help. Do you want to be a teacher the rest of your life ? Any other subjects that interest you?. I'd talk to a guidance person for help first.
You could try teaching English in Japan for a year, and then decide if you want to stay on or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment