Sunday, November 6, 2011

If I leave Japan for good and I don't make friends with local Japanese people, will it be my fault?

Question:


I lived and worked in Korea for 3 years. In Korea there are people who have engaged into conversatios with me. Strangers who I associated with. I spent two years in Taiwan and I made friends with local Taiwanese there too. I am now in Japan and I have not made friends with any local Japanese.

It seems to me that in northeast Asia, you have people that surround you to want to be their friends, and after a while they just drop you. That is my social experience here in Northeast Asia. Out of all the people I met in Korea, I keep contact with only 1 Korean. Out of all the Local Taiwanese people I made friends with in Taiwan, still I keep contact with only 1 Taiwanese. The rest of others in Taiwan I keep contact with are either foreigners and 2 aboriginal Taiwanese. (Most Taiwanese are Han Chinese so it is easy for them to drop me). Southeast Asians are different, not to mention the people I still keep contact with in Thailand.

Now that I am in Japan, it is harder because Japanese people do not talk to strangers, and most Japanese people have the worst English language skills in Northeast Asia. I have been in Japan for only 2 and a half months and I will tell you for sure that most of the friends I am making are foreign friends from around the world, mostly Filippinos. Well there is one fellow from a local Japanese church I am aquainted with but apart from that, I do not have any real local Japanese friends. No matter how bad their English is, and no matter how bad my Japanese is. And I have no chance of getting a Japanese gilfriend either. And yes I can easily slam Japanese for being xenophobic.

So if I ever leave Japan for good, will it be my fault if I don't make friends in Japan?

Answer:


It is not your fault. You can't always please everyone all the time. Japan is a closed society which might be one reason foreigners struggle to make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment