Sunday, November 6, 2011

A question about staying in Japan?

Question:


Hi guys, basically me and my friend do language exchange over Skype with other native Japanese people. It's a funny idea but, I was asking the Japanese guy if it's possible to have a place to stay there for free, and he said a temple would be free if you were to clean and do stuff etc. Would it be possible for me and my friend to stay there for free by hanging out at temples? LMAO Also are all foreigners fingerprinted and have their photograph taken even if they're a visitor? Thanks.. (If so that f****** sucks) (Our Japanese is kind of beginner/intermediate, I can read 500 Kanji)

Answer:


Yes, ALL foreigners are fingerprinted and have their picture taken by the Immigration officer.
If you refuse, you will be denied entry.
Also, after having cleared Customs, you may be stopped by police.
I have been to Japan 7 times, just came back from there in Oct., and it was the first time
that I was approached by a police officer, who wanted to check my credentials.
My advice to you: be courteous, don't swear and cooperate; otherwise you will have lots of
problems.

I also stayed at a temple on Mt. Koya. The rate there was 10,500 yen per night, which included
breakfast and dinner.
When staying at a temple, you are regarded as a 'customer'; therefore, it would be inconceivable
for the monks to allow you to do any chores. Furthermore, when staying at a temple, you must
get up as early as the monks do, and join in the prayer.

Finally, you don't need to know Kanji, Hiragana or Katakana to enjoy a travel in Japan.
Furigana is small-typed Hiragana or Katakana which is placed either above or to the side of a Kanji character.

No comments:

Post a Comment