Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tips on Visiting Japan?

Question:


My brother promised to take me to Japan in two years, (I'll be 16) and I want to prepare as much as I can before-hand!
I know a few Japanese words like; Arigatou, Arigatou gozaimasu, Domo Arigatou gozaimasu, Nani, Watashi, Hai, Iie, konnichi wa, Ohayou Gozaimasu, Konban wa, kawaii, Sayonara, gomen nasai, Doko, Baka, Neko, Hon-to-ni, Wa-ta-shi-wa <name> desu, Ha-ya-ku, and Moshi Moshi...
Any other useful words/sentences that could help me?
I also read up on a few tips, like; Don't tip, don't talk on cellphones on train/bus, don't talk too loudly, don't point- turn palm face up and point with whole hand, no shoes inside, and don't leave chopsticks in bowl or something like that?
Any other tips for me?

Thanks so much!! Arigatou!

Answer:


You can find lots to read and learn at:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Japan
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/FAQ-Manners.h…
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623b.html

You'll find lots of romaji in Japan such as in train and subway stations, and many ticket machines and post office ATMs also have English. Some family restaurants have menus in English in bigger cities with more tourists, and many eateries have plastic models of their food next to their front doors, so if you can't read the menu, just take the waiter or waitress outside and point at what you want. Few speak English fluently, but if you get lost or something, find someone young, write out your question in simple words and they can probably help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment