Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Should I take a semester off from learning Japanese?

Question:


I’m a sophomore studying mechanical engineering. I’m about a semester behind where I should be, because I took irrelevant classes to explore another major (computer science, which didn’t go well) and screwed up my math and physics classes. So basically I’ll be retaking some classes next semester, hopefully I’ll raise my GPA up to 3.0.

I figured that I’ll be in school for the next 4-5 years (My school has an integrated Bachelor-Master degree in ME, and I’m very interested.), so I made a decision to study Japanese as a minor. I always wanted to learn a third language, and Japanese seems to best fit my personality, mindset (My first language is an Asian language. I took 3 semesters of French in high school and it didn’t go well. Japanese is easier to speak, write and read IMHO.) and career path.

This upcoming spring semester I’ll be taking 5 classes; one of them is Elementary Japanese II. So the other 4 is a combination of physics, math and engineering classes. However, minoring in Japanese is pulling me back. I feel that I should postpone learning Japanese for now and just focus of my engineering degree. I can always learn the language later.

What do you think?

Answer:


Yeah, you can get language skills on the fly. If you come and live in Japan, you will pick it up in no time. You cannot learn mechanical engineering on the fly. I studied German in college and didn't start studying Japanese until I came here and now I'm a translator. I majored in History in college, but if I had studied biology, IT, engineering, or law, I'd be making a lot more money now. Especially mechanical engineering, that is a vital field in Japan. So I'd say put your Japanese on hold and get your engineering degree, because a classroom is the best place to learn engineering, but the real world is the best place to learn a foreign language.

No comments:

Post a Comment