Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Are Japanese teens/young adults friendly to foreigners?

Question:


I want to do study abroad/exchange in university when I am 20 years old, to a Japanese city, and I was wondering if I would be able to make friends easily there ?
I would have studied the language beforehand and continue studying up there

Can I make friends with Japanese girls and boys , and maybe a boyfriend?
I am worried that I'll just end up hanging out with other foreign ppl at the university

Answer:


Yes they are friendly, however if you do not speak Japanese prepare to make friends mainly with the Japanese students who are learning English and/or preparing to study abroad in an English speaking country soon.

There will be those who do not wish to befriend a foreigner, those who want to be your friend because they think foreigners are "cool", and those who don't care what you are as long as you are a good/fun person.

Edit: Not sure why the thumbs downs, this is exactly what happened to me while I was there and pretty much every other exchange student that was at the school with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment