Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Where should I go in south - southwest of Japan?

Question:


I'm off to Japan in a few weeks. First week will be in Tokyo for 3 days then fly out to Seoul for 5 days, then once in Japan straight to Nagoya for the day, Kyoto - 3 days, Osaka - 3 days. I have one last week, Where should I go for the last week? Was planning on staying in Tokyo but thought wouldn't mind moving around and seeing more of south - southwest of Japan. I'll definately head to Hiroshima for the day. Some people have recommended: Nara/Himeji/Shikoku etc... So yeah where should I go and for how many days in each city? I'll be using a JR Rail Pass.

Answer:


Head up to Kanazawa for a day if you get a chance.

Nara is nice, but nothing that special. There's nothing there you won't have already seen better versions of in Kyoto (except for the deer roaming the streets that let you pet them).

If you go to Hiroshima, then take the ferry over to Miyajima. You might also want to check out the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum.

Nagasaki is a pretty city with some good food and attractions: Glover Garden, China Town, etc.

Fukuoka is great for living, but I'm not sure about tourist attractions. I live around Tenjin and it's wonderful, but seeing as you will have already been to Tokyo... Granted, it's still nice. If you -do- come, be sure to try Hakata Ramen (the best in Japan!).

Have fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment