Monday, April 18, 2011

How can I do volunteer work in Japan?

Question:


I have Japanese nationality, and I speak Japanese fluently (though complex conversations such as politics are a difficulty) and I live in the UK. Obviously I'm fluent in English, and I can speak a bit of French (if that helps), I've also had 2 years of Combined Cadet Force (CCF) experience including first aid.
I would like to volunteer myself this summer between July to August, and am 16, any help in how i can do this would be appreciated.

Answer:


The Japanese Red Cross is wanted help from qualified persons. If you have correct training then you can of course come, but please be respectful while you are here. Many of us are having a very bad time and so not all of us are going to be extremely hospitable but many of us are still welcoming foreign visitors. I see many people from UK here, some of them made me and my family some food and we thanked them for it. Apparently, volunteer work here is all taken but the Red Cross are welcoming any one who wants to help. I am very happy that you want to help us here in Japan, and together we can make Japan better, I know it. But if you are 16, you should ask your Mother and Father before hand and of course see if you are needed. We have many people here helping out and I have seen over a hundred foreigners here but some people are actually here on holiday!

The Japanese Red Cross is currently the main organizer for everything that goes on, but please do not be like the Americans who brought ribs and were OFFENDED because we rejected the gift due to religious reasons... that didn't go down well. We all thank you for any help you can give and because you know Japanese, it will be a great help. Especially if you want to speak to the people who want or need somebody to talk to because their family is lost or gone. As for French, I doubt you will need it. We don't speak French here.

The Japanese Red Cross also is in dire need of MONEY, not just volunteers. I personally prefer volunteers because they help more in some cases. Don't be afraid to talk to us if you do become a volunteer because I know of many people here who cry all day and nobody speaks to them - but of course, be respectful and if they don't want help from someone who couldn't understand (i.e someone who has family and isn't Japanese) then accept their wishes.

You could perhaps do a study program and do volunteer working on the side but full-time volunteer work is rewarding and a very rich experience yet it is tiring. To get here, go through the Red Cross first, or simply arrive and ask: May I volunteer? or ask in Japanese. The Red Cross will most likely accept you anyway because all help is welcomed. Thank you, with your support we will make a difference.

~Kurisuchi

No comments:

Post a Comment