Monday, April 18, 2011

KIMONO HELP! Can You Tie Nagoya Obi Without All The Extras?? (See Details For More Info)?

Question:


Okay I have bought a Yukata and a Nagoya Obi. I received an Email from the company stating that, to make the traditional square bow, I need 3 things: Obi Makura Pillow, Obijime Cord and Obi-age. I am on a budget and would like not to purchase these items from the company as they are rather pricey. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IN FACT I CAN TIE THE NAGOYA BELT LIKE A YUKATA BELT (WITHOUT THE EXTRA ITEMS) AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO TIE THE NAGOYA IN AN APPROPRIATE FASHION...TUTORIALS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!

Answer:


Not if you want to wear it in any of the bows usually worn with the Nagoya obi (e.g. taiko musubi). The obi makura, obi jime, and obi age don't just look pretty, they also help hold the bow/knot together in most of the styles. That said, it's fairly easy to fake an obi makura. I once used a small, square-shaped stuffed animal tucked inside the obi age itself when I couldn't find my proper obi makura. You could also use things like clean socks or unused sponges inside of some other material, like gauze or even old cut-up stockings, for the obi makura. Nice scarves could potentially be substituted for the obi age. The obi jime will be the toughest thing to substitute, though, because there really isn't anything like it in the Western world. The closest thing I can think of is a tie for holding curtains back, but unless you're Scarlett O'Hara it's probably better to stay away from upholstery and drapery items when putting together your clothes.

However, you really can't wear a yukata and nagoya obi together properly unless you also add a juban (or at least a fake collar under the yukata to fake the look of a juban) as well. You'll want to be careful with how you do this, especially if you plan on wearing the outfit in public. The Immortal Geisha forums might have more tips on faking kitsuke items and pairing a yukata with a nagoya obi in the kitsuke section.

No comments:

Post a Comment