Saturday, April 23, 2011

Western Surnames On An Inkan?

Question:


OK, I have one of the VERY few Western given names that actually has a Kanji...the name Ken (the most obvious person with that given name is Japanese comedian Maeda Ken). By a VERY odd coincidence, the Celtic name has exactly the same meaning as one form of the Japanese name, Ken. I found this out when getting my Inkan.

Most Westerners register their Inkan in Kana, but the guy making it for me said I was legally entitled to use the Kanji. I was kind of amazed and almost said yes...but, then...I wondered about the propriety of doing it.

I guess the question is...is it culturally correct for a Westerner to use the Kanji for his own "signature?"

Please, this is a question for a Native Japanese...or a US Japanese Permanent Resident, not for guesses. I know it is legal for me to do so...but, is it proper for me to do so?

Answer:


If you are going to register your inkan or use it for any formal purposes - such as opening a bank account - then I think it's best to use the name that appears on your Japanese ID to avoid possible hassle later on. If it's in kana, then so should the name on your inkan.

If the inkan is for more casual usage - to receive a delivery or just to mark that you have read an office memo, for example - then there is nothing long in using your kanji name, as long as people know it's you.

No comments:

Post a Comment