Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How do you say seafood in Japanese?

Question:


Or rather, I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Is it shifudo nashi kudasai for 'no seafood please' when out dining? I'm a vegetarian and many of the dishes that are considered 'vegetarian' have things like fish paste in them. I could lie and say I have an allergy if it comes to it (ah, the good old 'no no, I'm allergic to alcohol!' lie when you don't want to get plastered with business men!) but.. I'm trying to avoid that.

I already know that niku nashi kudsai will get me no 'meat', but the seafood thing is a problem! I'd hate to go through all of them. =(

Answer:


You basically got it down pat!

シーフード無し下さい。(shi-fu-do nashi kudasai.) would be correct, but one alternate I came up with is:
シーフードを抜きでお願いします。(shi-fu-do wo nuki de onegai shimasu) which basically says the same thing.

Either way works ^^ I hope it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment