Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Process of getting work in Japan?

Question:


Hi, I was wondering which way I would go about getting work (teaching English) in Japan if I'm coming from the UK. Assuming I have my degree.

Would I simply come to the country as a tourist, and then find a job that comes with sponsorship? Is this generally the norm? Also, how long would the sponsorship process/ getting my visa take?

Thanks

Answer:


In your case you could get a working holiday visa which would make the process much easier. Your a Brit, so it is best to take advantage of something your American competition isn't eligible for. Yes,you can go to Japan on a visitor visa and look for work. When you get a job you just have to go to Seoul or wherever overnight to switch the visa to a work visa when the papers come through after about a month. In the meantime you can work. I suppose that is technically not kosher-but that is what is done and the immigration bureau has to be aware of the practice.However from an employer's point of view who would you like to hire-the person who needs sponsorship and will need time off for a visa run, or the working holiday person who can go to work with no red tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment