Saturday, June 11, 2011

Is it acceptable to shave in the onsen/sento?

Question:


I've been living in Japan for years now, but somehow this has never come up. I recently moved to a small apartment building where the showers are public (one on each floor) and very cramped. There's really only room to stand, and it's hard to bend over to shave my legs. I keep missing spots.

I've been splurging once a week to go to the sento down the road, since I adore Japanese baths and it makes me feel clean (unlike the dingy shower stalls). It's brightly lit and I could sit down and leisurely take care of those troublesome knees and ankles, but...in my four years here, and dozens of visits to bathhouses, I can't remember seeing a Japanese girl shaving in the shower area of a sento or onsen.

Is this a taboo? Will I get dirty looks for rinsing my icky stubble onto the floor? Or would it be perfectly acceptable for me to break out the razor and cream? Please advise.

Answer:


It depends on each sento. Ask the owner or any employee working there. I think you can at least find 1 or 2 of them where it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment