Sunday, June 19, 2011

Why do most Japanese employers for native English teachers not cover airfare nor rent?

Question:


I worked in Korea for 3 years, and over there they provided me a descent place to live, rent free. I had to pay utilities and the place was furnished. They even covered 100% of my airfare from Toronto. On my first contract with them I even got US$300 for settlement allowance, I also had a pension.

In Taiwan I never received any settlement allowance. On my first contract in Taiwan I got 100% coverange of my airfare to Toronto, but I only received subsidy for rent, they never provided me a place to live. On my second contract here in Taiwan finishing on June 30, I only have a partial coverage of my airfare and for rent it's the same, just subsidy, I got no pension here in Taiwan. All my contracts in Korea and Taiwan were for teaching English in public schools.

Now I am going to Japan to teach starting August 31. (I will also be teacing in a public school). In Japan, I will NOT have any subsidy nor reimbursement for my airfare from Toronto, and I have to pay 100% of the monthly rent (Except for August 2012). I will be paying utilities and 10% of my income for taxes, but pensions I don't know.

In China, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, and the gulf states they will either subsidize or cover yout airfare and rent 100%. Why do the Japanese employers not do that for native English teachers?

One More Thing: At least I will save money in Japan because I won't need to buy my own vehicle there as I did here in Taiwan.

Answer:


Japan's market for English teachers is more matured than the other Asian nations, I guess.
And recently online English schools have emerged as a new competitor in Japan, which provide English lessons at much cheaper price, so that more Japanese English learners are moving from a conventional English conversation school to the online schools.
As a result, employers are inevitably tightening their spending on the employee's salaries.
I think that's a reason why most Japanese employers are not willing to cover your claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment