Thursday, July 21, 2011

Immigrating to Japan... Any "how to" info?

Question:


Anyone know what sort of steps I'd need to take to move me, my husband, and our baby? Any websites with good info? Any personal experience with migrating to Japan?

Answer:


First of all, you need to get a job lined up. This is because your employer must apply for a Certificate of Eligibility through the Japanese Immigration Bureau. After you've secured a job, this usually takes a few weeks. Your employer will ask for documents such as a scanned copy of your passport, diploma and other identification usually including a 40cm x 30cm photo. After a few weeks, the bureau of immigration will approve your certificate.

At that point you take the certificate of eligibility to a Japanese Consulate and exchange it for an entry visa, at which point your passport has a legal residence visa based on what type of employment you will have. They are usually between 1-3 years but they can be longer depending on specialization of work.

If you're willing to teach English, I think it's not as hard as people make it out to be. Just a pain in the butt with paperwork and a lot of waiting around. It took me 4-5 months altogether, as I started looking in March. I'm moving to Tokyo in 3 days and I'm very excited (:

No comments:

Post a Comment