Sunday, July 3, 2011

When is a good time in life for a Japan visit?

Question:


I am 19 years old and going into my second year of uni this September (I plan to go 4 years). I keep reading about other young people on the internet who visit and even stay for extended periods of time. When/how would be good for doing this myself? (Or with friends, if I meet any who are interested by then).

I've never travelled before, and my parents will likely not be willing to finance any trip to Japan. What would be a good way to save for this so that it doesn't take me until I'm 30? Even if I got a job now I think my first saving priority would be university. I was thinking maybe a "uni is over" trip might be nice :/.

Answer:


Definitely not August. End of July to August is summer break for Japanese students, and prices to way up during that time. It could get up to $3000 just for airplane fees for the round trip. Also, if you're planning to stay with a student in Japan, don't go during their exam times. That's around March (because the school year ends in March) and June (before summer break). I've heard it can get extremely busy during those times. I think those are the only times I'm advising against it. The rest you can decide on whether you like hot or cold weather, events happening at your university, and things like that.

You would be surprised how much you can save up by starting a job now. You can save a certain percentage for your education and another for the Japan trip. Putting it in a bank can get you interest, and though that isn't much, it's still free money. Even if your parents aren't willing to pay for the entire trip, they might be willing to pay a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment