Saturday, August 6, 2011

I need the truth, why do most Native English teachers want to go to Japan?

Question:


When I started teaching EFL overseas, I didn't start in Japan, I started in Korea. I know for sure that it is difficult to get into Japan. I know that most native English teachers want to go there rather than China, Taiwan, or Korea. I will be heading to Japan in 2 weeks and I must say that it's a great privilage to go to Japan to teach. But apart from the fact that there are so many people lined up to apply to teach in Japan, I need to know, what is the real true reason why native English teachers want to go there? (Nevermind the immigration thing)

Answer:


LOL. Very interesting to see people's opinions on this one. I started in Japan. My first choice was Russia, but I couldn't find a job situation that I liked and was qualified for. When I went to my job interview for my first EFL job in Japan, back in the USA, the interviewer asked me why I wanted to go to Japan, and I said "Because I know absolutely nothing about it." and I got hired. I couldn't speak a single damn word when I got here.
Everyone who majored in "Japanese Studies," or had converted to Buddhism, or knew more about anime than most Japanese, these people all left within six months, sometimes even shorter, sometimes less than a week. Idealistic people are chewed up and spit out. Their hippie "Japanese Studies" professor tells them "There is no materialism in Japan. In Japan, everyone communes with nature, and holds a great reverence for the environment, In Japan, people get good educations and can speak foreign languages and aren't racist and fat and stupid like Americans, blah blah blah..."
And it's all misleading. The Japanese, and I love 'em, are materialistic, shallow, predictable, childish, petty, and nationalistic. Just like Americans. Just like Chinese. It's just human nature.
Don't come here expecting a fairy fantasy wonderland and you will be fine.

I don't know why it's so popular but I reckon it's because Japan has a cool image. Many foreigners who live here are trying to leave after the "honeymoon period--" the first 3 or 4 months where you think Japan is the best place on earth.
When you start noticing that the building you work in is made of asbestos, you can't get a credit or rent an apartment, you fail the driving test 7 times in a row, and your Japanese girlfriend is actually entertained by the god-awful television programs, (while stabbing holes in your condoms with a fork) you will at least be able to see good and bad.

That said, as long as you have a sense of humor, I'm sure you'll love it. If you like Korea, you'll probably love Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment