Monday, August 29, 2011

Question About Japanese Cell Phones/Sim Cards?

Question:


Okay, so I just bought a Japanese cell phone (I'm going to be going to Japan soon) and there wasn't a sims card. How much would it cost to get one in Japan? Prepaid or whatever...? My phone is a Vodafone 803T. Thanks!

Answer:


Your phone is a 3G phone, and still works in Japan but only with Softbank's SIM.
Vodafone Japan was sold to Softbank several years ago, as others mentioned.

Since 2006, you can not "buy" a Japanese SIM if you don't have a permanent address in Japan.
I don't know how long you're going to stay in Japan. But, if you have a visa to stay in Japan for more than 90 days, you need to get the Japanese alien registration card, then show your passport AND the alien registration card AND a Softbank/Vodaphone phone to "get" the prepaid SIM from Softbank for free. In addition, the charge card costs 3000 Yen or 5000 Yen per a card.

If your stay in Japan is short-term, the local law prevents you from "buying" a SIM card.

You can "rent" the SIM card at international airports.
http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/phones/…


>Where can I get this?

You neeed to register your address with the municipal office where you live. Ask your host family where to go.

I don't know how long it will take for you to get the actual alien registration card, or if the proof of alien registration is sufficient enough for Softbank to give you a SIM.

And, you must be legally adult by Japanese law to get a SIM under your name. I think the legal age under this context is 20 years old.
When you have everything needed, go to a Softbank shop.

If you're younger, you need the proof of consent by your guardian. I am not sure if your host family can be a legal guardian under this context.

If you can not meet the conditions, you may want to ask your host family to "get" the SIM under his/her name, and let you use it.

Once you get the SIM, you can buy a top-up card of 3000 yen or 5000 yen at any softbank shop or convinience store without showing any documents. All you need to buy it is money.

BTW, I do have a couple of Softbank prepaid cell phones and, my family and I have been using them when we visit Japan several times a year. But, I am a Japanese citizen who permanently live in USA. So, I don't know some of the things specific to non-Japanese citizens on this matter. For example, how to actually get a Japanese alien registration card.

No comments:

Post a Comment